Michael Tonsmeire joins me this week to discuss aging beer in barrels as well as how to barrel age sour beers.
Subscribe on iTunes to Audio version or Video version or on Google Play
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (50:47)
- Today my guest is Michael Tonsmeire. Michael is the author of the book American Sour Beer (Amazon affiliate link) and he also writes for his long running blog The Mad Fermentationist. Michael joins me to talk about Sour Beers.
- We discuss how Michael got into barrel aging.
- He shares with us the purpose of barrel aging beers including sour beers.
- We talk about the size of barrels that work best for homebrewers as well as where to find barrels.
- Michael tells us which woods work best with beers, including those from winerys and distilleries.
- We talk about how to inspect a barrel and how to check for leaks as well as how to sanitize it before use.
- He explains the importance of keeping a barrel full for longer beer aging as well as why you really don’t want the barrel empty between batches of beer.
- We discuss how long to age a typical beer as well as how to use a barrel with sour beers.
- Michael talks about other wood alternatives including using oak cubes, oak spirals, chips and powders.
- He shares his new brewery project which is still in the early planning stages.
Thanks to Michael Tonsmeire for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
Don’t make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try – you’ll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now