This week Randy Mosher joins me to discuss the second edition of his book “Tasting Beer” as well as sensory evaluation of beer, aroma, judging beer and more.
Subscribe on iTunes to Audio version or Video version or on Google Play
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (54:37)
- Today my guest is Randy Mosher. Randy is author of the updated second edition of Tasting Beer as well as two of my favorite brewing books: Mastering Homebrew and Radical Brewing (Amazon Affiliate Links for books). Randy is also partner in two breweries in Chicago and runs as web site at RandyMosher.com
- We start with a discussion of Randy’s activities including his two breweries he is partner with.
- He talks about his new updated and revised edition of Tasting Beer which Randy just published.
- We discuss the Cicerone program and how they use Randy’s book as a guide for it. We also introduce the concept of sensory evaluation including some of the complexities involved.
- Randy discusses the vocabulary around beer flavors and how truly limiting it can be.
- We talk about some of the qualities we look for in a beer.
- Randy shares his thoughts on taste including the basic ones (sweet, sour, bitter, salty) and the new ones including Umami and Kokumi.
- He discusses aroma and how aroma and taste get melded in our brains to produce something we call “flavor”. He also explains how the average human can distinguish perhaps as many as a trillion different and unique flavors.
- We talk about the presentation of beer and how important it is to enjoying a good beer.
- He provided some advice on tasting and judging beer.
- We discuss food and beer pairing and how much the food we eat affects the perception of the beer we drink.
- Randy briefly describes the craft beer revolution and some of the new trends in craft brewing.
- We talk about his last chapter “A Sip Beyond”, and Randy shares his closing thoughts.
Thanks to Randy Mosher for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
Don’t make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try – you’ll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now