Jesse Kaiss and Danny Buswell from Dark Cloud Malt House join me this week to discuss their experiences starting up a small local malt house. Jesse and Danny are malting their own barley and selling it locally in central Maryland.
Subscribe on iTunes to Audio version or Video version or on Google Play
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (58:42)
- Today my guests are Jesse Kaiss and Danny Buswell from Dark Cloud Malthouse. Jesse and Danny have started their own very small malting house in central Maryland with a focus on selling to local breweries and distilleries.
- Jesse explains how they both got started trying to build their own malt house.
- Danny tells us some of the research involved including developing a plan.
- We discuss where they set up the malt house and how they funded it.
- Danny explains the challenges of finding locally grown barley as very little brewing barley is grown on the East Coast.
- Jesse walks us through the basic malting process and how you turn raw barley into malt.
- We discuss pneumatic malting, floor malting and turning the grains by hand.
- Jesse tells us about how they dry out the grains after malting (commonly called kilning)
- Danny shares the types of malt they created last season.
- We discuss quantifying the quality of the finished malt as well as how the malts were received by local breweries.
- Jesse explains their plans to expand production next year.
- Danny shares some of the challenges they have faced in growing and scaling the business.
- Jesse tells us about long term plans to grow their own barley to truly have a locally grown/produced malt.
- We discuss future plans and closing thoughts.
Thanks to Jesse Kaiss and Danny Buswell for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
Don’t make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try – you’ll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now