Dr Charlie Bamforth joins me this week to discuss clarity and haze in beer as well as steps you can take to improve clarity through finings, conditioning and brewing techniques.
Subscribe on iTunes to Audio version or Video version or on Google Play
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (55:42)
- Today my guest is Dr Charlie Bamforth from the University of California at Davis. He is Professor of Malting and Brewing Science where he specializes in the study of wholsomeness of beer including beer perception, polyphenols, foam stability, oxidation and flavor stability. This is Charlie’s 8th appearance on the show.
- Dr Bamforth tells us some of the new projects he’s been working on along with his new books. He also mentions the short courses in brewing now offered by the University.
- We talk about the definition of clarity and why it matters for beer brewing.
- Charlie explains how to measure clarity and haze including direct measurement and observation.
- We discuss some of the many potential causes of haze in beer.
- He tells us about chill haze, and how chill haze often develops into a permanent haze.
- We start on to of the main culprits that cloud beer – polyphenols and proteins.
- Charlie discusses the selection of malts, malt protein and how to minimize it.
- We discuss polyphenols which come from both hops and grains.
- Charlie shares some techniques for reducing haze starting with a good strong boil.
- We discuss cold crashing a beer and how important that is for improving clarity.
- Charlie explains some finings commonly used as well as how they work.
- He shares his closing thoughts
Thanks to Dr Charlie Bamforth for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
Don’t make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try – you’ll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now